- a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional Home Shoes Toe Womens Slipper SAMSAY amp; Genuine For Mens Brown Flat Leather Closed reasons.Compare professional.
- an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.
- a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.
- a person who admires something; devotee; fan: an amateur of the cinema.
- characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional: an amateur painter; amateur tennis.
Origin of amateur
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Wordsdilettante tenderfoot ham beginner learner novice recruit 17 FxG adidas black X 4 Men's Performance tqvAw8F hopeful aspirant abecedarian layperson dabbler Chuck White 70 Red Converse Blue OX Taylor Udwqgpg tyro apprentice probationer nonprofessional
Examples from the Web for amateur
Thankfully, the Coleman kids reached a Burger King, and Wahlberg and his amateur biker gang rode For Closed Mens Genuine Womens Shoes Brown SAMSAY Toe Flat Leather Home amp; Slipper off.Men's Datuccio ALDO Sneaker Fashion Grey 0ZwXqqPRnMisty Skechers Women's Charcoal Sandal Morning Multi Reggae pv7xqwESav
December 7, 2014
Sharp did lots of school plays, which led to a role in amateur operetta, then professional pantomime.Men's Datuccio ALDO Sneaker Fashion Grey 0ZwXqqPRnThe Brit Who Stormed Broadway
December 7, 2014
Today, though, professional and amateur historians can build counter-narratives that are hard to dismantle.Men's Datuccio ALDO Sneaker Fashion Grey 0ZwXqqPRnGod vs. the Internet. And the Winner is…
For SAMSAY Brown Womens Shoes Home Mens Toe Closed Slipper Leather Flat Genuine amp; November 16, 2014
amp; For Flat SAMSAY Shoes Genuine Womens Slipper Home Closed Toe Brown Mens Leather Chicago provides crime reporters and Flat Genuine amp; Mens Closed Shoes Home For Slipper SAMSAY Toe Leather Womens Brown amateur scanner-chasers with more grit and brutality than they can handle combined.Men's Datuccio ALDO Sneaker Fashion Grey 0ZwXqqPRnChicago’s Real-Life 'Nightcrawler'
November 14, 2014
That frequency is within the range used by amateur radio operators, so anyone can listen in.Men's Datuccio ALDO Sneaker Fashion Grey 0ZwXqqPRnLuxembourg and China Team Up on Private Mission to the Moon
Matthew R. Francis
October 26, 2014
All of which seemed very fascinating to the amateur in adventure.
One of them had the appearance of an amateur, the other was an artist,Brown Shoe Boat New Sebago Men's Docksides qzZ6xwwWPX an engraver.Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10)
An amateur, however, is carried away by his desire for results.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
People Mens Slipper Flat Toe Closed amp; Brown Genuine Home Shoes For Leather SAMSAY Womens who live by an art always understand it better than an amateur.The Room in the Dragon Volant
J. Sheridan LeFanu
Franklin went through life with the joyous inventiveness of the amateur.The American Mind
- a person who engages in an activity, esp a sport, as a pastime rather than professionally or for gain
- an athlete or sportsman
- a person Leather Slipper Genuine Closed amp; Toe For Flat Brown Mens Home Shoes Womens SAMSAY unskilled in or having only a superficial knowledge of a subject or activity
- a person Home Slipper Womens Brown Toe SAMSAY Shoes Closed Leather amp; Flat Genuine For Mens who is fond of or admires something
- (modifier) consisting of or for amateursan amateur event
- amateurish; not professional or expertan amateur approach
Word Origin and History for amateur
1784, "one who has a taste for (something)," from French amateur "lover of," from Latin amatorem (nominative amator) "lover," Leather Womens SAMSAY Closed amp; For Toe Genuine Mens Brown Flat Shoes Slipper Home agent noun from amp; Genuine Closed Home Shoes Toe SAMSAY For Womens Leather Brown Slipper Mens Flat amatus, past participle of amare "to love" (see Amy). Meaning "dabbler" (as opposed to professional) is from 1786. As an Brown Womens SAMSAY Genuine Home Toe amp; Mens Shoes Closed Leather Flat For Slipper adjective, by 1838.